Thursday 17 May 2012

Paul Politis Black & White Photography

Paul Politis


Artist Statement



Paul Politis

In my photography, I attempt to capture moments in time that have a quiet emotion to them. I tend to avoid human presence, instead focusing on the objects that humans construct, maneuver and discard. Through patterns and shapes, and light and shadow, I hope to kindle in the viewer an empathy for the objects I photograph, or to view them as a personification of a part of themselves.

Working primarily in black and white, my recent work has focused on these themes within an urban landscape. I feel that the concrete and asphalt of a city imparts a cold and lonely feeling that is further accentuated by the tonalities of a black and white photograph. The city is rife with still lifes and juxtapositions, waiting to be photographed.



I have decided to include this photographer in my work because I feel my work has been focusing on still life projects. Also much of my recent work hasn't really included people. I thought I would find this photography interesting and inspiring to my personal work.



The first thing that I notice about this image is the bold contrasted black and white tone to the photographs. I also looked at this photographer when I did my AOP ballet project. 

I really like how the photographer has captured a natural quirky element in the countryside. The leaf has naturally formed a heart shape, this could represent passion for the rural countryside. The photograph features many different shapes and patterns in the image making it visually interesting. The main thing in the photograph is the heart leaf. The viewers of the image are instantly drawn onto the centre of the photograph. 

The use of lines is also present in this image. The shape of the vine on the plant also draws the viewers attention to the leaf in the centre. 



The plants on this windowsill are almost silhouettes, this is due to the natural lighting coming through the window. Using natural lighting loses detail and highlights which would be present if a fill in flash would have been used. I feel rule of the thirds is being used in this photograph, this creates an interesting composition. The image has a very lonely and isolated feel to it. I think this is due to the very bold tones, and the space between each potted plant. 






I like how the graffiti in the image overlaps and intertwines each other. This creates a very crowded and chaotic effect. This is completely different in comparison to the previous image I have included in the blog. The different elements of text seem to appear as different layers. This is due to each being separate, some being older than others and also being wrote in different paints by different people.
I like the idea of graffiti having many different meanings to different people. Phrases such as 'peace for all' can be seen on the image. The setting appears to be urban, the text creates an abstract and modern work of art.





Although the image above isn't black and white I really liked the idea and concept. The photograph shows a corpse like model lying dead and silent to the surrounding world. Depth of field is present in the photo, the photograph has focused on the models feet and body. The focus drops out again towards the top of the image. 

The photograph has been taken at night. This is evident due to the black sky and also the lens flare of the lights. Lens flare is usually like this when a long exposure and high ISO has been used. My blog has shown some of my night time photography where I have been experimenting. The tone of the photograph is really nice, but I personally feel it doesn't match the subject. I was expecting a very cold tone to match the eerie atmosphere. 

I feel this image could be displaying an urban attack which has happened in the dead of the night. 

Many textures are evident in the image, like the graffiti photograph this seems to create many different layers. 


The viewpoint is quite unusual and different to the 'norm'. The camera is shooting down at the door. The setting looks as if it is from a horror movie, it is very isolated and eerie. I think the angle has been chosen to emphasise the distance to the door. The door also appears to look quite small. The image could include a hidden message, communicating to the viewer that this is such a mysterious place; even your own mind begins to play tricks on you. 

Other details can be found around the photograph, such as broken pieces of wood. Dirt and mud is also features on the stairs showing the house isn't a home to anyone at present. This shows a sense of abandonned and aloneness.   




I really like the natural lighting that has been used in the photograph above. The lighting seems to have created a holy 'cross' like shape. The shadows create a creepy and uneasy atmosphere to the photograph. The vintage looking radiators gives the viewer knowledge that this is either an old building, or an old photograph. 


The bold window frame is silhouetted by the natural lighting coming in from the other side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment