Sunday 2 October 2011

Fashion Research

After speaking to one of my photography tutors, we discussed researching in more depth into the different levels and ranges of fashion photography. I decided to research into Vice Magazine as I wasn't familiar with it.  I am going to be researching Vice and Vogue magazine to see how different or similar they are to each other. I am hoping it will help me decide in which direction I am going to take my photography.


Vice Magazine

Vice magazine was founded in Quebec and is currently based in New York City. It is a free magazine, which is well known at publishing work by young up and coming artists/photographers etc. Vice Magazine contains a very mixed up content including pop culture to more intense and serious matters which feature in the news. 


The magazine is regarded as controversial taking up matters which include race, drugs and sex. Every year Vice publish a 'guide for students' in the UK however, it has been banned from many university campuses. The magazine also shows a irreverent style of photography featuring malnourished children posing for fashion photo shoots. Obviously, to some people a huge lack of respect is shown while covering these sensitive subjects. 


After researching into Vice magazine I actually really like the style and attitude. But it is obvious to see why people would be offended and feel disrespected. In my opinion, I feel it's important to not take life too seriously. I really like the 'edgey' feel I get when looking at the images which are featured in Vice magazine.

 I feel Vice highlights the negative and truthful happenings of the world, instead of hiding behind photos of pretty women. The photograph above could represent the constant battle against authority (such as police and government) e.g.'2011 England Riots'. The photographer has captured a sense of power and belief which is portrayed by the hooded character which is the main subject of the photo. The stance of the man shows no fear and determination against the riot police which are blocking his way. 


Vogue Magazine


Vogue is a high end fashion Magazine, often featuring the latest celebrity style icons on the cover. Celebrities such as Lady Gaga, Kate Moss, and Victoria Beckham have featured on covers. The magazine was also said to be 'The worlds most influential fashion magazine' by Caroline Webber (book critic) in The New York Times. 




Like Vice, Vogue takes on important issues such as politics, but communicates them through fashion. Vogue also uses fashion in editorial work and community projects to raise awareness of current issues worldwide. An example of this is the Burqa in 2006; I was unable to find photographs from this project, but it is something I would like to research futher. 



Vogue feature stunning photographs which give a 'fantasy' outlook. The way the photos communicate issues through fashion is so clever and interesting. However, in my opinion this sometimes glamorises serious issues putting a fake and 'staged' atmosphere to the subjects and photographs. I am torn because I also feel that it can work, but I think this depends on how the issues is portrayed. 

I don't feel that I can place my photography alongside either of these magazine styles; I think my photography may belong somewhere in-between. I really like both styles, so I may try and incorporate the two together. Researching both has really 'opened my eyes' about the world of fashion. 









No comments:

Post a Comment